All University and OSP travel must be pre-approved and follow the Ohio State Travel Policy. An Ohio State employee/student must have written approval from his/her supervisor prior to travel. Travel reimbursement involves a two-step process: submission and approval of estimated travel costs before travel, and a second form detailing actual costs after travel is complete.
- Complete and submit the ISE Travel Application to ISE Fiscal Associate at least two weeks prior to your trip.
- After approval, you will receive a spend authorization number (SA#) and may then book your flight via the University Concur travel system. Visit here to book your flight and/or rental car reservation by clicking on “Book Travel Online”.
- Login to Concur will require your university username (name.#) and password.
- If it is your first time booking with CTP, you will need to set-up a profile.
- Upon booking your flight, you will be asked to use either a university credit card or sponsored project credit card. You will select an option based on which fund your travel will be reimbursed.
- Certain expenses (registration and lodging) can be prepaid by the department. Please see ISE Fiscal Associate for more information.
- See Helpful Information for your Travel section below for additional information on rental car, hotel, mileage rates, per diem, receipts needed, etc. See sidebar for direct links to travel forms and resources.
- Within 30 days of travel, submit original itemized receipts showing details of actual expenses incurred that are eligible for reimbursement to the ISE Fiscal Associate.
- Following receipt of these items, the forms and receipts will be reviewed and, if all needed items are provided, the reimbursement request will be forwarded to the College of Engineering Business Office. The traveler will be notified by email and confirm the allowed reimbursement amount and request their approval in WorkDay. The approximate time frame for this process following receipt of all needed items is two to four weeks.
Helpful Information for your Travel
- If renting a car, the department policy requires the use of the Ohio State rental car agreement which a contractual agreement with Hertz, Enterprise and National, and includes insurance coverage required by the university. Those rentals made that do not meet the policy may not be reimbursed.
- You may now book your rental car using the Hertz/National/Enterprise agreement via the Concur Online Booking Tool here.
- Before making a reservation, review the university's business vehicle rental FAQ for more information on agreement benefits, insurance, international rentals and other general information.
- Note: University insurance requirements noted in the Travel Policy may not be included with international rentals. Additional fees and insurance requirements may be applicable to the laws of the country/region.
- Pre-payment of some costs--such as conference registration and lodging--may be available for Ohio State students and employees, including cash advances. Please contact the ISE Fiscal Associate for details.
- Itemized, original, and legible receipts are required, so it is important to keep all receipts during travel.
- Receipts must indicate method of payment, such as "Visa XXXX1234," the traveler’s name and the amount paid. Cancelled checks must have scans of front and back.
- A brief business purpose statement is to be provided for each expense. For example, if you take an Uber, please indicate where the Uber picked you up and where it took you (e.g., Uber from home to airport).
- Per Diem If the Ohio State student or employee is allotted a daily reimbursement amount for meals, travelers are to provide detailed costs for each meal to be reimbursed. The cost of meals provided as part of travel or a business-related event (for example during a flight or as part of a conference) will not be allowed as part of a per diem reimbursement.
- In general, the per diem allowance for the first and last days of travel is up to 50% of the full per diem rate.
Questions regarding travel and reimbursement should be directed to:
ISE Fiscal Associate:
230 Baker Systems