Recent Publications of Cathy Honghui Xia
1. Liu Z. and Xia C.H. (Eds), Performance Modeling and Engineering. Springer, 2008.
24. George D., Xia C.H. and Squillante M.S.,
"Exact-order asymptotic analysis for closed queueing networks",
Journal of Applied Probability, 49(2): 1-18, 2012.
23. *Tan Y., Lu Y. and Xia C.H. “Provisioning for
Large Scale Loss Network Systems with Applications in Cloud Computing”.
To appear in Performance Evaluation Review 2012.
22. George D. and Xia C.H., "Fleet Sizing for a
Vehicle Rental Service via Closed Queueing Network Analysis'',
European Journal of Operations Research, 211(1): 198-207, 2011.
21. Gera A. and Xia C.H., "Learning Curves and
Stochastic Models for Pricing and Provisioning Cloud Computing Services'',
Service Science, 3(1), pp. 99-109, 2011.
20. George D. and Xia C.H., "Asymptotic Analysis
of Closed Queueing Networks and Its Implications to Achievable Service
Performance Evaluation Review, 2011.
19. Feng H., Xia C.H., Liu Z. and Zhang L.,
"Linear-Speed Interior-Path Algorithms for Distributed Control of
Performance Evaluation, 67(10): 1107-1122,2010.
18. Xia, C.H. and Chow A.L. "Asymptotically
Optimal Load Distribution for Multi-path Streaming under FEC",
Probability in the Engineering and Information Sciences (PEIS), 24(4), pp. 509-523, 2010.
17. Liu Z., Tang A., Xia C.H., and Zhang L., "A
Decentralized Control Mechanism for Stream Processing Networks''.
Annals of Operations Research, 170(1):161:182, Sept. 2009.
16. Feng H., Liu Z., Xia C.H. and Zhang L. "Load
Shedding and Distributed Resource Control of Stream Processing Networks",
Performance Evaluation, 64(9-12), pp. 1102-1120, 2007.
15. Xia C.H. and Dube P., "Dynamic Pricing in
e-Services under Demand Uncertainty",
Production and Operations Management, 16 (6), December 2007.
14.Dube P., Liu Z., Wynter
L., and Xia C.H. "Competitive Equilibrium in e-Commerce: Pricing and
Computers & Operations Research, 34 (12), pp. 3541-3559, 2007.
13. Liu Z., Wynter L., Xia
C.H. and Zhang F., "Parameter Inference of Queueing Models for IT Systems
using End-to-End Measurements",
Performance Evaluation, 63 (2006), pp. 36-60.
12. Lin W., Liu Z., Xia C.H., and Zhang L.
"Optimal Capacity Allocation for Web Systems with End-to-end Delay
Performance Evaluation, 62, pp. 400-416, 2005.
11. Xia C.H., Liu Z., Squillante
M.S., Zhang L. and Malouch N.M.. "Web Traffic
Modeling at a Finer Time Scales and Performance Implication",
Performance Evaluation - Special Issue on Long Range Dependence and Heavy Tail Distributions, 61, pp. 181-201, 2005.
10. Chang J., Ayhan H., Dai J. and Xia C.H.,
"Dynamic Scheduling of a Multiclass Fluid Model with Transient
Queueing Systems, Theory and Applications, 48(3-4): pp. 263-307, November-December, 2004.
9. Xia C.H., Liu Z., Squillante M.S., and Zhang L.
"Lower Bounds for FBM/GI/1 Queues with Subexponential Service Times",
Probability in the Engineering and Information Sciences (PEIS), 18, pp. 87-101, 2004.
8. Lin W., Liu Z., Stavropoulos H. and Xia C.H., _Hard
Deadline Queueing System with Application to Unified Messaging Service_,
Performance Evaluation Review 2003. 31(2): 31-33.
7. Pekoz E., Righter R. and Xia C.H.
"Characterizing Losses During Busy Periods in Finite Buffer Systems",
Journal of Applied Probability, 40(1), pp. 242-249, 2003.
6. Xia C.H., Michailidis G. and Bambos N., and Glynn
P.W. "Optimal Control of Parallel Queues with Batch Service",
Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences(PEIS) 16, pp. 289-307, 2002.
5. Squillante M.S., Xia C.H. and Zhang L.
"Optimal scheduling in queuing network models of high-volume commercial
Performance Evaluation, 47(4), pp. 223-242, 2002.
4. Xia C.H., Liu Z., Squillante M.S., Zhang L.,
Malouch N., _Traffic Modeling and Performance Analysis of Commercial Web
Performance Evaluation Review 2002. 30(3), pp. 32-34.
3. Xia C.H., Michailidis G. and Bambos N.
"Dynamic On-line Task Scheduling on Parallel Processors",
Performance Evaluation, 46(2-3), pp. 219-233, 2001.
2. Squillante M.S., Xia C.H. and Zhang L., _Optimal
Scheduling in Queueing Network Models of High-Volume Commercial Web Sites_,
Performance Evaluation Review 2001. 29(3): 47-48.
1. Xia C.H., Shanthikumar J.G. and Glynn P.W.
"On the Asymptotic Optimality of the SPT Rule for the Static Flow Shop Average Completion Time Problem",
Operations Research, 48, pp. 615-622, 2000.
7. Tang A., Liu Z., Xia C.H., and Zhang L. 2006.
Distributed Resource Allocation for Stream Data Processing Systems.
In High Performance Computing and Communications: Second International Conference (HPCC 2006).
Edited by M. Gerndt, D. Kranzlmuller. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. pages 91-100.
6. Zhen Liu, Petar Momcilovic, Cathy H. Xia, and Li
Zhang. 2004. AMBIENCE: Automatic Model Building using InferENCE.
In Special Issue: Reactive Systems Modelling: A Selection of Papers Presented at the French-speaking Workshop MSR'03.
International Journal of Production Research. Vol. 42.2004,14. Edited by Nidhal Rezg. London: Taylor & Francis.
5. Zhang L., Liu Z., Riabov A., Schulman S., Xia C.H.,
and Zhang F. 2003. A Comprehensive Toolset for Workload Characterization,
Performance Modeling and On-line Control.
In Computer Performance Evaluation : Modelling Techniques and Tools. Vol. 13.
Edited by P. Kemper; W.H. Sanders. Berlin ; New York: Springer. 63-77.
4. Xia C.H., Liu Z., Squillante, M.S., Zhang, L. and
Malouch, N. 2003. Analysis of Performance Impact of Drill-down Techniques
for Web Traffic Models. In Providing quality of service in heterogeneous environments. Teletraffic Science and Engineering. Vol. 5a.
Edited by J Charzinsky; R Lehnert; P Tran-Gia. Amsterdam ; London: Elsevier. 231-240.
3. Liu Z., Squillante M.S., Xia C.H., Yu S.-Z., and
Zhang L. 2003. Profile-based Traffic Characterization of Commercial Web Sites.
In Providing quality of service in heterogeneous environments. Teletraffic Science and Engineering. Vol. 5a.
Edited by J Charzinsky; R Lehnert; P Tran-Gia. Amsterdam ; London: Elsevier. 409-418.
2. Cathy H. Xia, J. George Shanthikumar. 2003.
Asymptotic Optimal Control of Multi-class G/G/1 Queues with Feedback.
In Stochastic Modeling and Optimization of Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chains.
Edited by David D. Yao, W.H. Zijm, W.H.M. Zijm, and J.G. Shanthikumar. Boston/Dordrecht/London:
Kluwer Academic Publishers. 127-139.
1. Liu Z., Squillante M.S., Xia C.H., Yu S.-Z., Zhang L.,
Malouch N.M., and Dantzig P. 2002.
Analysis of Caching Mechanisms from Sporting Event Web Sites. In Advances in Computing Science--ASIAN 2002:
Internet Computing and Modeling, Grid Computing, Peer-to-peer Computing, and Cluster Computing. Vol. 2550.
Edited by A Jean-Marie. Berlin ; New York: Springer. 76-86.
19. J. Liu, C.H. Xia, N. Shroff, and H.D. Sherali.
Distributed Cross-Layer Optimization in Wireless Networks:
A Second-Order Approach. Accepted to appear in Proceedings of INFOCOM 2013.
18. *Y. Tan, Y. Lu and C.H. Xia. Provisioning for
critically-loaded loss networks.
In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS, London, United Kingdom, June 2012.
17. Y. Huai, R. Lee, S. Zhang, C.H. Xia, and X. Zhang.
DOT: A Matrix Model for Analyzing, Optimizing and Deploying Software for Big Data Analytics in Distributed Systems.
Proceedings of 2nd ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), 2011.
16. Haiquan (Chuck) Zhao, Cathy H. Xia, Zhen Liu, and
in Proc. of ACM Sigmetrics, New York, NY, June 14-18, 2010.
15. Haiquan (Chuck) Zhao, Cathy H. Xia, Zhen Liu, and
in Proc. of IEEE Infocom Mini-conference, San Diego, CA, March 15-19, 2010.
14. David K. George and Cathy H. Xia,
"Asymptotic Analysis of Closed Queueing Networks and Its Implications to Achieveable Service Levels",
in The Twelfth Workshop on MAthematical performance Modeling and Analysis (MAMA 2010), New York, NY, June 18, 2010.
Performance Evaluation Review 2010.
13. Alix L.H. Chow, Hao
Yang, Cathy H. Xia, Minkyong Kim, Zhen Liu, Hui Lei.
in The 17th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP'09), Princeton, New Jersey, October 2009.
(Acceptance rate: 36/197=18.3%)
12. Lei Y., Liu Z., Towsley, D. and Xia,
Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, AZ, April 2008, pp. 977-985.
(Acceptance rate = 20%).
11. Xia C.H., Liu Z., Towsley D. and Lelarge M.,
Proc. of ACM SIGMETRICS 2007, San Diego, CA, June 2007, pp. 133-144. .
(Acceptance rate: 29/179=16%)
10. Liu J., Liu Z., Towsley D., and Xia C.H.
Maximize the Data Utility of a Data Archiving & Querying System through Joint Coding and Scheduling,
Proceedings of the 6th international conference on Information processing in sensor networks(IPSN) 2007,
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA April 25 - 27, 2007, pp. 244-253.
(Acceptance rate 22%).
9. Xia C.H., Towsley D., and Zhang C. "
Distributed Resource Management and Admission Control of Stream Processing Systems with Max Utility",
Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2007) June 2007.
(Acceptance rate 13.4%).
8. Xia C.H., Broberg J., Liu
Z. and Zhang L. "
Distributed Resource Allocation in Stream Processing Systems".
Proc. of 20th International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC 2006) .
7. Broberg J., Xia C.H., Liu Z. and Zhang L. "
A Multicommodity Flow Model for Distributed Stream Processing".
Proc. of SIGMETRICS-Performance 2006.
6. Kayshyap A., Lastras L.,
Xia C.H.. Liu Z. "
Distributed Source Coding in Dense Sensor Networks",
Proc. of Data Compression Conference 2005(DCC'05), 13-22.
5. Lelarge M., Liu Z. and Xia C.H. "
Asymptotic Tail Distribution of End-to-End Delay in Networks of Queues with Self-Similar Cross Traffic",
Proc. of INFOCOM 2004, pp. 2352- 2363.
4. Xi B., Liu Z., Raghavachari
M., Xia C.H., Zhang L. "
A Smart Hill-Climbing Algorithm for Application Server Configuration",
Proc. of WWW 2004, pp. 287-296.
3. Wynter L., Xia C.H. and Zhang F. "
Parameter Inference of Queueing Models for IT Systems using End-to-End Measurements",
Proc. of SIGMETRICS-Performance 2004.
2. Xia C.H. and Liu Z. "
Queueing Systems with Long-Range Dependent Input Process and Subexponential Service Times",
Proc. of ACM SIGMETRICS 2003. pp. 25-36.
1. Zhang L., Liu Z. and Xia C.H. "
Clock Synchronization Algorithms for Network Measurements",
Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 2002, vol. 1, pp. 160-169.
Last modified: November 16, 2012